Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A block for baby!!

Contrary to what could be assumed from my absence, I did not fall off the face of the earth, nor did I give up on this blog. I did however, go on vacation. The fam packed up and headed to the Outer Banks, NC for 7 days. I am a little paranoid about putting it on the internet that my house is sitting empty (sans the 2 giant dogs) for that long.
I am back now and got back to work today. I saw a pattern for a cute block in one of my books and decided to give it a try. I would like to make a whole set but wanted to do one start to finish before I start cutting out a bunch of squares in a size I don't like. I did realize that 3 inch squares would be better than 4 inch and that I needed to use WAY more stuffing.
Here are the directions with the corrections that I will use next time. (This is from Amanda Blake Soule's The Creative Family)

You'll need:
6 - 3" squares cut from any fabric you like (I used 6 fabrics in different textures)
Up to 6 shapes to embellish on the blocks.
stuffing (all I can say for the amount is, lots more than you'd think)
Needle and thread
Sewing machine is optional for this one.

1- Cut out six 3 inch squares
2- Begin sewing the sides of the square panels together. (SEE PHOTO) I used my machine but you could hand sew too.
3- Continue sewing the sides together to create a block, until you get to the last side. Leave this open and stuff the block firmly with filling, so that it maintains its shape.
4- Finish sewing the open side of the block

(You could add a bell into the block if you'd like do that before step 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment