Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Banana Bread... made with so much love!!

Yesterday was a disaster - new tires, cranky "customer service" providers at the tire store, crying babies and two a year old who decided she didn't need a nap. Thank goodness it's over! We survived and managed to wake up this morning to a new day and rested babes!!
This morning, as an attempt to catch up, I decided to use up those "ripe/nearly ruined" bananas and make banana bread. I've technically never made it. I've made a version of banana nut muffins by simply adding banana and nut to my bran muffin recipe, but never real banana bread.
It doesn't matter one bit how it turns out because it was made with so much love!! My oldest baby decided she wanted to help and for the first time, she actually helped. She climbed up on her helper ladder and stood thru the entire recipe. She even mushed bananas.

How cute is it that she's wearing an apron over her big girl panties and jammies?!! I wish I could cook in my undies and it be cute!!
Not that you couldn't find a zillion recipes for banana bread, here's the one I used.
From Better Homes and Gardens New Cook book.
2 c all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 wheat flour)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. ground nutmeg (I didn't have any so I just skipped it)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 5 medium)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. cooking oil or melted butter or margarine (I used veg oil)
1/4 c chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of one 9x5x3 or two 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 loaf pans; set aside. In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, banana, sugar and oil. Add wet to dry. Stir just until moistened. Fold in walnuts. Spoon (or pour) batter into pan.
3. Bake for 55-60 minutes for large pan or 40-45 for smaller pans.  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completley on rack. Wrap; store overnight before slicing (this is so not happening)

1 comment: