Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Zucchini Bread and a Zucchini quiche for dinner!

Grammy dropped off a delivery of zucchini that were entirely to large to just cut up and throw in a skillet with olive oil and onions. So I was faced with the challenge of figuring out what to use them in.
I decided on this recipe of Paula Deen's  for the bread. I did however modify out of neccessity. I didn't have enough walnuts so I used some almonds too and I don't have any nutmeg so I just used a little extra cinnamon. 

 I am winging it with the quiche. I used a boxed pie crust dough, because I had one - don't judge me. I'm making two - one for dinner tonight and one for lunch with a girlfriend tomorrow.
Here's what I did if you wanna try one at home....
I baked the crusts at 350 for about 15 minutes or until they started to brown.
Then you get to be a little creative, you can really put anything you like in a quiche here's what I did.

approx 10 slices of bacon cut into small pieces and cooked.
1/4 of one really large green zucchini and 1/ 2 of one kinda large yellow squash shredded
7 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cups shredded mozz cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
and a little spinach.

I scrambled the eggs, cheese and sour cream together in a bowl. Put all other ingredients in cooked pie crust then pour the egg mixture over the top.
Cook at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment