Monday, January 7, 2013

Quinoa with corn and black beans

If you've followed along in this space for very long you may remember that January is a month that hubs and I make a few changes to our diet for a 21 day Daniel Fast. Well, it's January. We start this weekend but as I was eating dinner tonight I realized it was "fast approved" (and quite tasty!). I thought I'd share it here for anyone who is planning their menu for the weeks to come.



Quinoa with Corn and black beans
(because I can't come up with a better name)

1 1/2 cups uncooked Quinoa, cooked (you can cook quinoa in your rice cooker, just fyi)
1 can black beans (if you are fasting be sure to check your labels.... no sugar or corn syrup)
about 2 cups of frozen corn, heated
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup dried parsley (if using fresh, double amount)
1/2 cup dried chives (if using fresh, double amount)
chopped tomatoes to garnish.

In a skillet sautee garlic in olive oil until soft (I didn't have any, but I think chopped onion and green peppers would be excellent in this as well).
Add rinsed black beans and corn. Add cumin, salt, onion powder.
Once heated, add cooked Quinoa. Gently stir in parsley and chives. Salt to taste.
Garnish with fresh tomato and chives.

This would also be good with a few baked blue corn tortilla chips on the side. Oh, and maybe some avacado too!

Please be sure to visit the Daniels fast page tab on the top right of my home page. It will take you to a page dedicated to the fast. It includes the list of approved foods as well as recipes that folks have submitted. Also, on the right side of the home page under "labels"  click on Daniel fast and you ill be taken to all the posts that I've written that apply to the fast. May God do amazing things in your life as you enter this time of fasting.




No comments:

Post a Comment