Monday, May 24, 2010

Homemade English Muffins

Why, you may ask, would I feel the need to make english muffins? Just because I can, I guess. I have made bagels before, but they are a bit time consuming (not as much as you would think though). So I decided to try english muffins.
They turned out pretty good. I'm excited to try them toasted with butter and jelly in the morning. Today I just had one right out of the oven and I think toasting them will give them that more familiar texture.
Here's the recipe I used with the notes on things that I changed. Next time I will use 1/2 wheat flour.
English muffins
submitted by LindaPinda to allrecipes.com
1c milk
2 T Sugar
1 Pkg active dry yeast
1c warm water
1/4 c melted shortening
6 c all purpose flour
(the recipe also mentions - salt and cornmeal but doesn't list amounts)

1. Warm the milk in a saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt (they didn't say how much, I probably used 1 teaspoon) and the rest of the flour. Knead. Place in greased bowl, coverr and let rise.
3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter (I really need to get one of these) or a glass. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
4. (OK, this is where I got a little off track) Heat greased griddle. ( apparently she's talking about an electric griddle and I now know that using a spray would be best. I used a big skillet, because that's what I had and initially used too much oil.)
Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. (I burned the crap out of the first batch, if you use a pan on the stove cook them on low.)
Keep baked muffins in warm oven until all have been cooked. (I don't know why you would need to do this. I put mine in the oven at 300 degrees to finish cooking - about 5 minutes- because I had to take them off the pan once the browned to keep them from burning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment