Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oh so Yummy Cinnamon Bread


Every Wednesday morning at 8:30 I have guests for breakfast. My dad and sister both have work schedules that give them Wednesday mornings off and they live very close by so last summer a tradition was born.

My husband is not a big breakfast eater and my daughter seems to be following suit. Because of that, I look forward to Wednesdays very much. Both because I love breakfast food and because it pushes me to be creative in cooking a meal that usually limits itself. French toast has become a favorite. I splurge and use a bakery loaf of french or artisan bread instead of just pulling out the handy whole wheat sandwich loaf.
I have been saying for months that it would be fantastic to make a Cinnamon swirl bread from scratch and use that for French Toast. Well, that day has arrived. I found a Gooseberry Patch cookbook at a yard sale and low and behold it had a very tasty sounding recipe for such a bread.

I just sliced a piece, still warm from the oven, and gave it a taste. While it doesn't look like much of a swirl, it could easily be the yummiest thing ever (or at least that I've eaten today) and maybe even a dessert all by itself. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow to dip it in egg and fry it on cast iron. YUM!!! If I didn't still have the taste of the worlds best (in my opinion, today) cinnamon bread in my mouth, it would be watering at the thought.

I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!


Goosberry Patch Country Baking Cookbook

Cinnamon Twist Bread


2c all-purpose flour
1c. plus 2T. sugar, divided
4t. baking powder
2 - 1/2 t. cinnamon, divided
1-1/4 t. salt
1c. buttermilk
1/3 c. oil
2 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 t. butter, softened

Grease and flour bottom only of loaf pan. In large bowl, combine flour, one c. sugar, baking powder, 1-1/2 t. cinnamon, salt, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs (again I used moms "crack in a measuring cup first" technique). Beat 3 minutes at medium speed; pour batter into pan.
In small bowl, combine butter, remaining sugar and remaining cinnamon.
Sprinkle over batter and swirl lightly to marble (I didn't quite acheive a marble on mine).
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until tootpick comes out clean.
Remove from pan before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment