Friday, September 17, 2010

Ode to the food processor...and coleslaw.

Although summer is coming to an end around here there are still a few occassions that call for the perfect summer side dish. A pig roast for the church and pulled pork sandwiches at an open house for family require (yes I said require) coleslaw. I have, what I believe to be, the absolute best recipe for coleslaw (it helps that it's also the easiest).
The women in my family have not blessed my sister and I with a wealth of family recipes but my moms grandmother had, what was thought to be, a secret family recipe for coleslaw. When it was shared with me I literally laughed out loud. Not because the recipe itself is so funny but because I can see her (I have no idea what she looked like, but it my imagination she is the typical grandmother of the 60s) looking totally embarassed when she was finally busted! The "secret family recipe" for coleslaw is ..... are you ready?....shredded cabbage and Marzetti's coleslaw dressing. Yep, I'm serious! She was onto something though, it's my favorite.
This summer has seen it's fair share of picnics that called for coleslaw. And with that I have seen my fair share of coleslaw injuries. This is the way I used to shred my cabbage.....

And this is the new way...


I am hands down, in love with my food processor. I use it for all sorts of things - baby food, marmalade, speghetti sauce.... but making coleslaw with it has been my favorite because I made a double batch and don't have any bandaids on my knuckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment