Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ice Cream Cake

 
 
So I realize that most folks would just swing by Dairy Queen or the Carvel case at the market if they needed an ice cream cake. I'm not most people. I am always looking for a way to cut cost and make things myself. This started for Brielle's birthday this year because she really doesn't eat cake but loves ice cream. Now, the fellas in our family tend to demand ice cream cake for birthdays. Yesterday was Papas birthday and Carvel has been a tradition for him long before I was in his life. He was a child who grew up eating Carvel for birthdays. I won him over to my side when I explained he could choose any ice cream flavors he liked for his cake. It took him several days to be sure but he finally decided on Cookie Dough and Vanilla.

Made at home Icecream Cake
Here's the process:
Allow the ice cream to soften on the counter (mine took about 30 minutes)
In the bottom of a spring form pan (size of your choice, I use a 9" to feed about 10 people) spread crushed Oreo cookies.
Heat a jar of chocolate sundae topping and drizzle over the cookies.
Spread the first ice cream over the cookies. This is kind of a hard process. It doesn't really spread. It's more scooped and mushed.
Then another layer of crushed Oreos and chocolate sauce.
Another layer of ice cream.
(now you can choose to do 3 flavors and add another layer of cookie and ice cream or you can stop here)
Put in the freezer for at least 8 hours. Overnight is best.
About 30 minutes  before you are ready to serve remove from freezer and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Then pop the form and remove.
I topped the entire thing with a tub of Cool Whip.
Voila!

The whole process takes a while and is a bit frustarting if you want it to look pretty. But the oohs and ahhs are totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment