Friday, March 4, 2011

slippers.

 A very dear friend of mine just moved back to the area this week. After her being away for about 2 years and I am delighted to have her back. We grew up together and now we are both mamas of young littles and I would LOVE for our kids to say the same about each other one day.   Last week said friend celebrated a birthday, so of course I used this oppurtunity as a chance to make something I'd found on the wonderful web.

 While she's been away, home has been in warmer climates for her and while it's "almost" spring here, it's still pretty chilly. Therefore, I settled on slippers. Super cute (in the pattern picture) Mary Jane slippers.
Here's the pattern I used. I found the baby slippers first (they will be made soon) and fell in love with the mama version. They didn't take long to make but I did have to pay attention. I added stitches at the end of each row and didn't realize it until I was on my 12th row. I really hate tearing out that much work, but it did give me more practice (trying to look at the bright side). As you can see on the slipper on the right, I didn't quite nail the placement of the "strap" and button. I have a feeling that there will be several more pairs of these made so I will have the chance to correct that.

(I almost didn't post this picture because the right one is a little "wonky" but I guess that would be cheating)
Oh, and I had to turn my right foot a bit to try and see the top and button. I do not have giant-right-ankle-itis.
I used a nice purple-ish wool that I picked up in Delaware this past fall and trimmed it in a gray wool that I had in my stash. I am realizing however, that may have been a bad idea. We'll see how it holds up, but I'm thinking washing and drying would be a nice option for fabric footwear. I think the next pair will be acryllic or at least a blend. Or maybe cotton, yeah, that would work!
I've said it before, but something about yarning a gift for a loved one makes it so much more special. Even though these are far from perfect and even a bit goofy looking, they scream "I love you" when I look at them. And what better to have shouted at you from your feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment