Thursday, July 14, 2011

A bracelet and a crisp

Being mama to a new babe is an amazing time. There is so much time spent just sitting and staring. Mostly when said babe is eating. As a nursing mama I feel like that is some of the best time I get with my new love. I try to really soak every minute of this shared time because so quickly it's gone. One of the challenges I face with nursing is trying to remember "what side I used last". I have tried putting a hair band around my wrist but then I end up using it to pull my hair up and forget what side it was on. When I found this  I thought it looked like something fun to try. Although I probably wouldn't rock them just for fun they do serve the purpose of side reminder very well. I used a pink t-shirt fabric that I already had in my stash and used the two finger pattern. After first trying the 4 finger pattern I realized it was just way too big because they don't lay flat like a braid.

A few things that I didn't quite understand about the pattern when I read it at first:  She wants you to make one long piece of fabric not tie them all together on one end. Also, you won't need as much length as she says if you are doing the 2 or 3 finger version. And check your length sooner than you think you will. It doesn't take long to make it long enough to fit around your wrist.

On a completely different note:
Yesterday, I managed to sneak out of the house with just the newest babe and pop into our local farmers market. I usually don't take brand new littles anywhere for a the first month but the farmers market is open air and I wore him close to me to protect him from well meaning strangers. We picked up some nectarines and cherries along with the butter and ice cream I went for. They sat on my counter begging me to make something yummy to put that ice cream on. I settled on a crisp. As I was cutting up the nectarines I was faced with the reality that they weren't totally ripe and were a bit tart. I decided a few of those cherries and the last bag of peaches frozen last year would be just right.

Here's the recipe I settled on adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
8 cups of washed, seeded and sliced fruit (in this case peaches, nectarines and cherries)
1/3  cup of sugar
1c regular rolled oats
1 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c All purpose flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c butter
1/2 c chopped nuts or coconut
Vanilla ice cream (this should not be optional. It's sooo yummy)

Preheat oven to 375. Place fruit in a seasoned cast iron skillet. Stir in granulated sugar.
In medium bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over fruit filling.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. Cool slightly before serving with ice cream.

Once again the entire dessert was eaten before I got a single picture. If we are being honest, it's not very pretty anyway, but OH SO TASTY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment