Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Let's talk zucchini!

So yesterday I promised to be here today to tell you about some zucchini love. The good news, I tried a new dish and it was delish. The bad news, the hubs ate it ALL before I could get a single picture. Seriously, not one. He ate all of it! I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I really wanted to show and not just tell.
We planted 8 zucchini plants in our garden this year and before you all gasp, yes I know that's probably too many, but I didn't get much in the ground and figured I should go with what I had. That  much green squash presents an oppurtunity to get creative. Actually it requires creativity. Last night I decided to try stuffed zucchini. "Stuffing" suited to really large ones that got missed hiding under the leaves. I cut the 2 biggest in half and scooped out most of the insides. I browned half a pound of sausage and then added the insides, garlic, onion, basil and a can of diced tomato. That simmered for about 10 minutes and then went back into the zucchini boats. I topped it all off with some bread crumbs and cheddar cheese. Yummy. I think I will try a different version next time, maybe some hot sausage and add some rice. I don't know, there's a whole summer of squash ahead every days a surprise.
Do you have a creative zucchini recipe? Please leave it in the comments, I'd love some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment