Thursday, June 7, 2012

Waffles

I seem to be on a bit of a kick with making a better version of convenience foods. Here's another....
Waffles. Frozen waffles to be specific. You know the cardboard like things that come in the yellow box. They are loaded with yucky processed food like substances BUT,  they are super convenient. We've had them in our freezer a time or two. Let's be honest morning is not the time of day that I feel super chipper and ready to whip up a gourmet breakfast with one eye open. I have 3 babes under 4. I haven't slept a full night in like 5 years. Sometimes, convenience wins.

Since adding the chickens to the mix there have been lots of scrambled eggs for breakfast but once in a while they all declare that they are not eating eggs again! Sometime last summer I picked up a waffle maker at a yard sale and tried the recipe that came with it. The waffles were good but seperating eggs and running multiple bowls was more than I wanted to deal with on a regular basis so we went back to pancakes and the waffle iron went in the back of the cabinet. Skip forward to about a month ago and I decided to try it again, but this time I went to my staple Better Homes and Gardens gingham table cloth cook book. The recipe in there was super easy. One bowl, one whisk, whole eggs. I was back in the waffle game.
I have adapted the recipe to be a bit more "healthy" by adding some whole wheat flour and oats but if you'd like a simple, tasty waffle just use unbleached all purpose.



Waffles
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats
2 Tbls sugar (you could totally substitute honey)
1 Tbls baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (leave this out if you are using salted butter)

2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup veg oil or butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

This is the order I put the ingredients in the bowl so that I can skip washing an extra bowl you could mix your dry and wet seperate and then combine.
Add eggs and whisk well, then add milk, butter or oil, and vanilla. Whisk well.
Add flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Whisk until combined. It will have some clumps, that's ok.

Pour one cup of batter onto hot waffle iron that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or oil. Close lid. Finish according to your waffle irons directions.

See super easy! This recipe makes 5 waffles in my iron. There are usually 2 or 3 left over. I let them cool and then put them into a ziploc bag and stick them in the freezer. When we want quick waffles another morning, I simply pull out how much we need and microwave them in a paper towel for 30-60 seconds. You could totally put them in the toaster.



No comments:

Post a Comment