Monday, January 21, 2013

Grr... GMO's in the flour too?

 About 6 months ago I called King Arthur flour company and was thrilled that a real live person answered the phone. I asked about GMO flour and was told that there is currently no GMO wheat being sold in the US. Shew! One less thing to worry about. Or is it?


 I consider myself fairly educated on the world of GMO "foods" and the products that are made from them. I know that almost all the corn and soy grown in the US are GMO. I look out for it on all labels, I buy organic popping corn, I don't use vegetable, corn or canola oil. So I am a incredibly saddened to learn that while the wheat that makes our flour is not GMO the way that it is often grown is not what I would have thought.
An amazing friend of mine spent many years traveling the country and met loads of folks along the way. One such folk is a farmer in Kansas. While visiting said farm my friend learned that after the wheat is harvested, soy is planted in the same field. Ok, that doesn't seem so bad at first, but this soy is Round Up Ready soy beans and they are sprayed with the poison during the growing season to prevent weed growth. Here's the problem... the wheat is then planted in the same place after the soy is harvested. Yep, that yucky Round up has soaked into the soil, the gmo soy seed has left behind who knows what as it grew the franken-soy plant.
Ugh!! So now I must add flour to my list of organic only. Why, oh, why must we put poison in and/or on so much of our food?!
Don't our babes deserve to eat food that is made from real plants? Not a version of a plant that a scientist created in a lab somewhere. A plant that more science than not, says is terrible for them and can lead to all sorts of health problems? I can grow my own corn, I can grow my own veggies and raise my own chickens for eggs and meat, but I can't find a local mill that's making non-GMO flour. So, I must settle for organic. This really does just make my heart sad. If you haven't educated yourself on GMO's please do. If we as consumers continue to assume that the food system is looking out for our well-being than we are to blame for the consequenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment