Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pepper jelly.... OUCH!

 I am in LOVE with Harry and David's pepper and onion relish (that's a dumb name for what it tastes like, I call it red pepper jelly) I give jars out for Christmas gifts and a jar poured over a block of cream cheese with crackers is a fixture on my holiday tables. I was certain I could figure out how to make it and thus save myself a small fortune come October.
I checked all over the net and found a frustrating amount of clone recipes, got super annoyed and just picked one.
In the process of making this amazing jelly, I was required to cut up 10 hot peppers. I didn't wear gloves. That was DUMB!!! I burned my thumb so bad it feels like I laid it on a hot stove for a few minutes. I can still taste the peppers on my fingers and it's not a good thing. I was a little scared I was going to burn the little people in the house just by touching them.

I just pulled the "extras jar" out of the fridge and..... it's freakin' fantastic!! I think it might need a little more heat but the hubby says no, that it's pretty hot already. If you've never experienced the yumminess you have got to get some! It starts hot with the jalapenos and then finishes sweet it's just yummy. That's really all I can say. It sounds weird but tastes like pure pepper heaven.
Here's the recipe I used with the changes I made:
*Reminder: WEAR GLOVES
Red Pepper Onion Relish
6 cups tomatoes, skinned, diced and drained (I used what was left from the garden, about 6 cups, peeled and ran them thru the food processor)
6 large red peppers diced (I used about 10 small to medium in multiple colors from farmers market)
8 cups sugar
2 TBSP salt
2 small boxes pectin
3 cups white vinegar
1 tsp ground red pepper (I didn't use this because I didn't have any)
2 jalapenos seeded and diced (I used 6 instead)
3 large onions diced (I only had 2 - one yellow one red)
4 hot banana peppers *(the recipe did't call for these, I just added them)
(I used the pulse setting on the food processor to chop the peppers and the onions)
Mix all ingredients together, except pectin and bring to a boil.
Turn down and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until thickened
Whisk in the 2 boxes of pectin and boil for 1 minute.
Pour into sterile jars
Process (I water bathed them for 15 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment