Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hats... big and small


While I was visiting the beach this past weekend I stopped at the local yarn store and picked up a few skeins of yummy wool yarn, planning to make grown up hats. I cast on the Daddy yarn Thursday and finished up his hat today. I was very happy with how it turned out. There's not too much to it. I cast 96 stitches on a size 8 16" round needle and did a knit 4 purl 4 ribbing for a few inches and then knitted for about 6 more inches before reducing by knitting 2 together, knit 6, knit 2tog- continue for a row. then knit a row. Knit 2tog, knit 5, knit 2 tog- continue for a row, then knit a row. Knit 2tog, knit 4, knit 2tog- continue for a row, then knit a row. You get the jist right? This is not a pattern by any means, I am simply sharing what I did.
Daddy wasn't feeling very photogenic so this is what you get.


Some ladies in my church are doing a Knit, Pray, Love project through a local radio station. We are knitting baby hats and blankets that will be sent to people who are working with children in Pakistan. They asked that they be knitted in an animal based yarn to get the most warmth in the cold climates. I lucked out while yard sale-ing today and stumbled upon 4 skeins of a wool/soy blend. So I went ahead and cast on this evening at dinner with the fam and finished up the very small baby hat tonight. I cast on 42 stitches on a size 8, 8" round needle. Lots more of these to make and I'm looking forward to the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment