Monday, November 8, 2010

A new favorite



I have picked up a new hobby and for the time being, it's my favorite!! I have learned (am learning) how to embroider. People have been embroidering forever. It's a very old art, that's very new to me. I recently bought this book and have been drooling over it for a few days but had just been a little nervous about diving in to something new. Well, that all ended on Saturday. Papa was out of the house and I had some time. I didn't have any transfer paper so I just laid a flour sack towel over the design I liked and traced it with Brielle's washable markers.
Sucess!! I learned 2 stitches for this design. Unlike crochet or knitting it's pretty easy to understand how to do it.  Getting your stitches even is really the most difficult part. It seems to me that it's one of those things you just need to practice. With the holidays coming I have lots of things to practice on. I have plans for embroidered tea towels for the ladies and hankercheifs for the fellas. I would also really like to do some embroidery on a quilt I've been working on for some very important folks.
This bag really needed a little something to personalize it so Saturday before the birthday party I embroidered the birthday girls name on a piece of denim and appliqued it on. I love how it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment