Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Getting Prepared.

In anticipation of Sundays change in diet, I've been in a bit of a list making mood. I have to adjust our regular shopping list a bit. I've made a list of goodies I think I'll be glad to have around and I've managed to write out our menu for the first week. I thought I'd share it with you here just in case you are feeling a bit overwhelmed. I found as I was looking through the many many recipes floating around on the web that I don't have all the ingredients needed for several of the recipes. This type of eating lends itself to many other cultures foods and their specialty items. I thought for the first week I'd try to keep things as familiar as I could with just a few changes. Here's what I've come up with....

Sunday- brown rice and veggie stir fry (use any veggies you like)
Monday- Asian noodles and salad.  I will be using this recipe but adding bok choy, carrots, green onions and mushrooms.
Tuesday- Vegetable Soup - Saute carrots, celery and onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add any herbs and spices that look good to you. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add barley (1 cup is usually enough for a 5-6 quart pot of soup). Let boil for 30 minutes. Add green beans, corn and a can of (or fresh) diced tomatoes. (You can use any veggies you like, this is what we like) Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy
Wednesday - Whole wheat speghetti with tomato sauce and a salad.  I will let you know if I find a bottled speghetti sauce that fits the fast. If not, you can make your own.
Thursday -Mexican casserole. In a casserole dish layer one can of black bean, 2 cups of cooked rice, one can of diced tomato with green chiles. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Garnish with guacamole and black olives. You could also top this with the vegan cheese if you like.
Friday - Tacos. Left over casserole from Thursday in Blue corn taco shells with shredded lettuce, salsa and guacamole.
Saturday  - Cabbage and Potato soup. Saute onion, celery and carrots in olive oil. Add herbs and spices to taste. Add veg stock, diced potatoes and sliced cabbage. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and cabbage are fully cooked.

Again,  I just wanted to let you know what I've come up with. I would love to hear if you have something to share that your family loves. These feel like things that will seem familiar. I hope to get a bit more creative the second week.
Tomorrow I will talk about some breakfast and easy lunch ideas that I have. I will be sending papa to work with leftovers but I like to have some ideas for those of us who are home during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment