Saturday, January 15, 2011

Granny, Oh granny how do I love thee?

So with much determination, and a wee bit of time wasted strolling around the blogesphere, I found a really great tutorial on how to make a granny square. I would like to say that I was right, and they have eluded me all this time because they are incredibly difficult, however, that is just not the case. Once I got past the idea that I will ever understand crochet lingo, I was able to just read this wonderful womans step-by-step (just right for dummies) directions and follow along. (I will forewarn you - these directions are in  UK terms, which is not really that big of a deal you just have to figure out the difference in the names of the stitches.)  It's really not hard! I know, I couldn't believe it! The hardest part is the first round and then you're off to the races.
Now I just need to find a way to make a trip to the yarn store fit into the budget. The fun of granny squares is all the different colors. You can use any type of yarn: cotton, acryllic, wool. But you must use all the same type and weight once you choose. That is where it falls apart for me. My yarn stash is a hodgepodge of fibers, wieghts, and such. So a trip for new is imperitive you see?

If you are just joining us here and are looking for the Daniel Fast information, please also see the Daniel Fast page tab in the top right corner of this page. You can also click on the Daniel Fast tab under Labels on the right of the page and that will take you to all my posts that are fast related. Thanks for being here!

3 comments:

  1. Emmy I have made them with different weights, if you have some of the really thin yarn like for baby items, I have just used two strands of it instead of one. Also, if you are going to outline them all with the same color yarn, if some of the squares turn out to be smaller you can crochet an extra row of your "background" yarn all around it before you start to join them.
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yeah I wasn't doing it right yesterday so I ripped it out but now I've got 2.5 squares done! GO ME! LOL Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roberta, thanks for the tip. That makes sense that you could double up to get the same size.
    Michelle, I'm glad you are rolling along now!

    ReplyDelete