Thursday, March 24, 2011

Soapy

While I didn't get any baking done today, I did manage to accomplish something. I made laundry soap. I've made powdered soap before using Soule Mama's recipe but this is a recipe I go from my friend Kerri. I realized after making the powdered version that it wasn't really very cost effective. This recipe however, is very wallet friendly. I works out to be just pennies for each load.


Here's the recipe:
1 bar of Dr Bonners Castille soap in your choice of scent. ( I used peppermint today)
1/2 cup of Borax
1/2 cup of Washing soda

Grate bar into 6 cups of water. Heat and stir until melted.  Add borax and washing soda and stir to dissolve.
Put 4 cups of water in a bucket (most of the ladies use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid) Add soap and whisk until blended.
Add one gallon plus 6 cups of water and whisk.
Allow to rest and set - approx. 24 hours.

You can use this just as you would your store bought liquid soap. I have a high efficiency so I will only use about 1/8-1/4 cup each wash.
I made 1/2 a recipe and put it in a one gallon glass jar this time, because I am without a bucket to store it. Many of the ladies who have been using this for years make a double or triple batch and just refill empty store bought laundry soap containers. The one thing that is a bit different is you have to shake it before you use it each time, but I promise this will become second nature in no time. If you start to get white powdery residue on your clothes just throw a little vinegar in the cycle when softener would be added. NO it doesn't make your clothes smell like vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment