Monday, January 9, 2012

Dinners.

Warning: Those of you who are not Daniel Fasters please know this is not really for you. Don't fret though, I've been covering everything in my house in yarny goodness. I promise to share tomorrow.

Today was the first "normal" day of the Daniel Fast. We got up, hubs went to work, the littles and I had a busy day at home. There were Cheezits, cheerios, mac and cheese, chocolate milk and all sorts of yummy things that I am not having for this 21 day period. Normally, those things would not seem at all like something I needed to have but when we are told we may not, we feel as if we must.
Breakfast for me was a banana and some almonds. Lunch green beans spritzed with olive oil and some sea salt. I had some left over pasta in the afternoon and I had Fried Rice for dinner.
I knew I was going to make rice for dinner but I was unsure what I was going to make with it. I settled on Stuffed peppers (I knew hubs would like them and he was not super pleased with the whole wheat penne I made yesterday). However after getting them in the oven I realized, I didn't want that. At all. You see, I don't really like peppers. Except for the ones that grew in our garden this summer. That brings us back to the fried rice.
Here are the recipes for both. Please be patient with me. I am terrible at relaying what I do when I cook. It's usually a little of this, sprinkled into a little of that. So please feel free to adjust these to your tastes.




Fried Rice
1 cup uncooked rice, cooked. I used a ratio of 3:1 brown to wild rice.
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic
about a cup of frozen corn
about a cup of frozen peas
one carrot chopped
1/2 a cup of diced onion (I think green onion would be a really yummy option)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon. seaseme oil
1 Tablespoon seaseme seeds.

In a fry pan heat olive oil. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Once onions are transluscent at corn and peas and about 1/4 cup of water. Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes.
Add rice and seaseme oil.
Dry roast the seaseme seeds and add just before serving.
I added a larger amount than most would of soy sauce.



 
Stuffed Peppers
2 peppers cut in half with seeds and veins removed
1 cup uncooked rice, cooked. Again same ratio brown and wild rice.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 can diced tomato
1/2 cup diced mushroom
1/4 cup diced onion
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic, diced.
couple shakes of basil

Lay peppers in baking dish sprayed with olive oil. Spritz inside of peppers with olive oil.
In fry pan add olive oil onion, garlic and mushroom. Sautee until onion is transluscent and mushrooms soft. Add basil (and any other spices that seem like a good idea.) Salt as you see fit.
Add tomato and rice to pan and cook about 5 minutes.
Add to peppers and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. For last 5 minutes broil until peppers begin to char.


I've talked to a few of you over the last few days and am hearing a few common threads. You miss your coffee and you aren't sure about "the rules".  I want to reiterate was Pastor Don said, "Let your conscience be your guide". I have the guidelines on the Daniel fast page (look at the top right corner of this page) but don't beat yourself up if you miss something. I am of the line of thought that, as in all things in my life, perfection is not a realistic goal. I will do the best I can and remember what it's all about. Keep up the good work! You are doing great. (Unless you've already bailed and are pigging out on cheeseburgers. In that case, you're a huge SLACKER! kidding, kind of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment